Sunday, September 20, 2009

Happy Birthday, Baby!

In these past two years many emotions have overcome me. First there was confusion. Why did my daughter have a congenital heart defect? Was it something I did? I tried so hard to do everything by the book when I was pregnant. Had I made a mistake somewhere; Was it all my fault? Next came excitement. My sweet Olivia would soon be born. We waited anxiously in our hospital room for 35 hours to meet this miracle from God. Once Olivia decided she was ready to make her grand entrance I felt relief. She was finally here….and she was breathing!




After this came love. I looked at Olivia and saw such a precious, innocent, strong little girl. I had so many dreams for her. I knew the moment I saw her God also had dreams for her….I had just hoped we shared the same dreams and God would give me the chance to raise her. Next came anger…Why couldn’t I hold my newborn baby? After everything we’d been told, not knowing if she would make it a day let alone to her first or second birthday, why couldn’t I hold her? Why did such a small, sweet little girl have to endure so much pain? Why did our family have to be forced on this roller coaster ride? It just wasn’t fair…



Then came acceptance. God chose our family for a reason. Although this journey has been a difficult one, we are the only ones God saw fit to accompany sweet Olivia on her quest. He gave her to Steve and me because he knew we would give her every chance we could at life. He knew we would hold her tightly every step of the way and not back down no matter how tough things got. He knew we would love her unconditionally…and he also knew Olivia would forever change us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Olivia,

Happy 2nd Birthday, sweetheart! I find it so hard to believe that you are already two years old. It seems like just yesterday we were getting to meet you for the first time. From the moment you were born (actually even while you were in Mama’s tummy) you let those doctors know exactly what you thought! You’ve always been a fighter, Liv. In fact, that nickname definitely suites you because that is what you proved to everyone you wanted to do. No matter how much pain your little body had to bear, you kept up the fight. You amaze us every single day. You have taught your Daddy and I so much. You have taught me what true love is. I didn’t know I could love someone as much as I love you. You have also taught me how truly strong I am. As you can tell sometimes, Mama is a very sensitive person and I don’t like confrontation. I often lack confidence. However, you showed me that I should always trust my instincts. You taught me to speak up and to be your advocate. You also taught me to never back down from what I believe in. It is because of you that I am a better person than I was.

Your family could not be more proud of you, Olivia. We feel so blessed to have you in our lives. Although we often fumble, we are all striving to be worthy of raising such a smart, kind, caring young girl.

I love you…Always and Forever
Mama

“Now That I’m Two…What Can I Do?”
*I can talk in full sentences (3-10+ words) and also love to sing.
Some of my favorite phrases are:
“Wanna go bye bye in Mama’s new car”
“Mama’s a good boy!” (She looooves to tease me)
“______ fix it!” (Olivia constantly thinks someone needs to fix her stuff!)
“ Wanna go see animals and feed bears ice cream!”
“Bah Bah Black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, Yes sir, twee bags full. One for my MATER (master, which she says very loud!) and one for dame!”
“Jesus lubs me dis I know, for the Bi-ble” (then she usually trails off)
“Wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round….all through town!” (She will also do horse, wipers, horn, Mama, Daddy, Gram, etc. on the bus)
*I can count from 1-10 (sometimes higher)
*I can say and recognize many of my ABCs
*I know at least 10 of my colors on a consistent basis
*I can say and recognize most of my basic shapes
*I can spell my name
*I can spell M-O-M-Y (close!)
*I can spell B-R-E Bree!
*I have now learned how to climb on AND off of the furniture
*I can put together many of my puzzles and shape toys
*I love to color and draw
*I have a newfound love of Minnie Mouse


I’m sure there are many things I am forgetting, but I hope I’ve got most of the major milestones recorded here! Thanks for checking in on us. Tomorrow we have our big appointment in IA City for Olivia’s cardiology appointment and sedated echo. I will try and put together an update tomorrow night with our weekend fun (Olivia’s birthday party and the Heart Friends Picnic) as well as results from our cardiology appointment. Please say a few extra prayers for Liv for tomorrow!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABY!!!!!!!!!!

I took her two year pics last week, check them out below!














3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday olivia...what a miracle you are! I hope you don't mind that I added Olivia to our list of heart buddies on our family blog :)

    ~Stephanie and Braeden(HLHS)

    http://braedensheartjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday precious Olivia! We have fallen head over heals in love with you and your courageous story! What an amazing journey you have taken your family on and I know how very blessed they feel to have you in their lives! I pray that with each passing birthday you continue wowing all of us with the amazing things you can do! You deserve to achieve all of your dreams Olivia! Keep reaching for the stars!

    Best of luck on your cardiology appointment today!

    Stefenie, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan Jacks
    http://www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Olivia! What a long way you have come. You are sure making your mommy and daddy proud. Keep fighting!

    It was good seeing you guys at the picnic, just wish we had a chance to talk a little bit. The pictures you took of Olivia are great! You do such a good job.

    Hope you got a good report today!

    Erin, Jeff and Carter Lamka

    ReplyDelete