Well, I think we are finally over that cold! Not even 24 hours after we started the antibiotic, Olivia seemed to be feeling better. The cough slowly faded away and we were left with only a runny nose. We ended up making the trip to
After a little while we decided to go for a swim. Miss Olivia discovered the mirrored closet and had to make faces at herself for awhile before we could go. That ended up being a pretty entertaining spot that night. She played hide-and-go-seek for 20 minutes in there! Once we did get to the pool, Olivia loved for Daddy to swim laps with her and splash in the water.
After we were doing swimming, we got dressed and went out for Pizza. Olivia enjoyed some pepperonis and even drank lemonade out of a straw! By the time we were done it was 8:30pm and past this little girl’s bed time. She acted a bit sleepy on the car ride back to the hotel, so I figured she would go to bed pretty easy. Boy was I wrong! We had brought Olivia’s mattress and made a nice pallet on the floor with a bunch a blankets. I figured she’d sleep better there than crammed between Steve and me. The only problem: she wouldn’t stay in it! Olivia ran all around that hotel room, pulling her toy bee, coloring, and jumping on her bed! I’d never seen this side of Miss Olivia before. She was a playing MACHINE! Steve and I couldn’t help but laugh at our overly excited toddler bouncing off the walls!
At 10:30pm I got Miss Hyper Pants to lie down in bed between Steve and me. She kept trying to stand up and jump on our bed too! We convinced her to lay still and drink some milk then finally, a little bit after 11:00pm, all three of us hit the hay.
In the morning we got dressed and went out for breakfast and headed to the zoo. Olivia was like a kid in a candy store! I tell ya, this little girl is either going to be a zoologist or a farmer’s wife. Olivia really enjoyed seeing the goats and “bull cow,” but also loved seeing new animals like the penguins and tigers as well.
Last Sunday was Uncle’s Pat’s Birthday Bash, so we headed over to Grandma & Grandpa Ron’s to celebrate. Olivia loved seeing everyone (and getting dotted on all afternoon).
Speaking of birthdays….I can not believe Miss Livi Pie will be celebrating her second birthday next Sunday! Where did the time go? It seems like yesterday I was holding a tiny little newborn and learning how to use an ng tube. Now, I have this happy, vibrant little toddler running around! I can honestly tell you this child amazes me every single day. She can already talk in 3-10 word sentences, knows at least 8 colors, and has even said her alphabet up to H. I know all of you were amazed when I posted the video of her spelling her name at 18 months as well. Olivia IS amazing. She is a gift from God and Steve and I could not be more proud to be her parents. I can’t believe how much pain this child has endured, yet she remains so full of life. People that meet her just fall in love with her, they’re drawn to her. Olivia has taught our family so many things in these past two years. She’s taught us about believing in miracles. She’s taught us about courage, faith, and hope for the future. Olivia has made me strive to be a better person. A better Christian, a better mother, wife, daughter, and friend. She has taught me to cherish the small things and to try and make the most of each day. Because each day is a gift. Thank you, Olivia.
On Thursday we had another appointment with Melissa in IA City. Olivia couldn’t wait to get there and see her. She calls it, “Melissa’s house,” and I don’t correct her. Hey, if she is excited to go to the hospital and doesn’t think of it as some scary place…then maybe it won’t be so frightening to her when she has to have her next heart cath or surgery. Olivia smiles and laughs the entire time. Melissa is also able to get her using that left arm and hand a lot.
However, we talked with Melissa and with flu/H1N1 and RSV season approaching we don’t feel that any frequent visits to the hospitals or crowded areas would be the best choice. Although we will miss her terribly, we all agreed the best option was to see of the local AEA could check in with us for the next few months and we’ll pick back up with Melissa next spring.
This weekend we’ve all enjoyed a relaxing time and watched some football. Olivia has become a pretty big fan. She watched a game on Thursday and has been talking about it ever since. Yesterday morning we asked her if she wanted to watch her usual Baby Einstein Video or Mickey Mouse. She looks at Daddy and says, “Football!” Steve just loved this!
A true fan
I will probably have another update or 2 within the next week since it is going to be a busy time for us. I will try and have a birthday update and also an update from our cardiology visit next Monday. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. Thanks for all for your support. I will leave you with a few more pics of the princess playing.
\Mama’s little helper. Olivia is cooking Mama some corn for supper. I thought this was too cute.
A wagon ride with Daisy Mae


















What a great update Kendra! I always enjoy getting to see pictures of Livi! Such a doll. Between her and Ellie I get my fill of sweet little girls.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a great time in Des Moines and Olivia enjoyed every minute of it...even staying up a little later than usual! That's good for her!
Will be saying extra prayers for LIVI!!
Always in our many thoughts and prayers,
Stefenie, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan Jacks
http://www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com
What a beautiful little girl! Miss Olivia, I remember the week you were born . . . your precious little body came into the PICU and you were right next door to our little Stella for a couple weeks. We remember seeing how tiny you were and so much going on with your little body but we got to meet your wonderful parents and knew you were in good hands! I remember praying for you and it brings tears to my eyes that you have come so far and are going to be two years old! I think I will always think of you this time of year as it was a tough time for us two years ago . . . but look at you now! Hugs!!!
ReplyDeleteSarah, Travis, Treyton, Stella and Sayer Turnbull www.caringbridge.org/visit/stellaturnbullturnbull
Love your new blog. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun at the zoo and hotel. Olivia is getting so big. I can't believe she is going to be two. She is doing so well and such a smart little girl, especially considering all she has been through. It is so wonderful to see all of these kiddos laughing and smiling and enjoying life. Great pictures as well. Go Hawkeyes!
ReplyDeleteErin, Jeff and Carter Lamka
cp:BabyLamka
Cute zoo pics! I"m sure that animal loving girl will be a zoologist or maybe a vet. You're blog is adorable, too.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for the b-day party and HF picnic this weekend! Better go get chatterbox out of her crib now ;)
Love- Heidi, Kevin & Ellie
Okay I am trying this out. We will see if it works.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear that Livi is doing well. I love the blog. I need to get one set up for Kennedy one of these days!
Take Care,
Tami Eggers