This is Miss Olivia getting her blood pressure checked, she is still smiling at this point!


This is Olivia and Dr. Lindsey one of her doctors for the day. She was so good with Liv.

Ahh, the infamous Cath Lab Miracle Worker himself...This is Olivia and Dr. Divekar. He kept teasing her and calling her “Dora.” Finally Olivia shot him that infamous scowl of the day and stuck her little bottom out at him. Ha ha! She was a card!
Just as we were getting ready to take Olivia in, she looked up at Steve and I with her big blue eyes and said, “I don't wanna go to Heaven today.” Holding back tears, Steve and I told her she would not be going to Heaven for a very, very long time. To hear your 3 year old (who suffers from a life threatening heart defect) say this was just heart wrenching. I don't even know how or why she would associate the hospital with Heaven. I guess sometimes these kiddos know a lot more than we think.
About an hour and a half after the cath started we got a page. They found several collaterals (which are growths the body makes to compensate). They ended up coiling off around 50-60% but the others were too small and risky to coil. About an hour later she was done. After this we went up to recovery.

When Olivia woke-up we could hear her screaming and screaming. This really didn't stop for the next 12 hours. I forgot how miserable staying overnight at the hospital can be. Every 30 minutes Olivia would wake-up screaming and thrashing. Anytime the door would open she did the same thing. She said, “I'm trying to be brave!” I told her she was brave and she did a very good job!

Here is Olivia opening her special present.

Some snuggles with Mama as we try to keep her leg straight for 6 hours...Yes, a 3 yo holding still for 6 hours is a task in itself!
The doctors noticed during the cath Olivia kept having what they call PVC's (Premature Ventricle Contractions). She also had these quite a bit afterwords, which kept setting the alarms off. Dr. D talked with Dr. Law and he also saw Olivia has intraventricular cardiac rhythm. The PVC's are not a big deal if they happen once in awhile, but if you get several of them in what they call a “run” it can affect the way the right ventricle squeezes and pumps blood. They sent us home with a 24 hour halter monitor to watch these things. They will be presenting Olivia's case to the surgical team on Monday and we will hopefully have a date for surgery soon after that. We definitely got a taste of what hospital life is like with 3 ½ yo and it's a whole new ball game!
Thanks so much for all of your thoughts and prayers!
What an amazingly brave girl you guys have! I'm so sorry she has to go through and know so much at such a young age. I can't not believe how rude that Dr. was to you! Hopefully it all got better from that point on!
ReplyDeleteDr. Lindsey is super sweet. We have seen her a few times when Logan has gone in.
ReplyDeleteI am shocked at the way you were treated by the anesthesiologist. Wow!! Never have had that happen before. Whenever we ask for the versed they give it to him and when we have mentioned what a pill he can be when waking up they give him the happy wake up meds. Although, honestly the happy wake up meds sometimes doesn't work its "happy magic" every time. :( I'm sorry that you had to deal with that though. That is just plain wrong!
Glad that the cath went well and I'll be praying that the holter doesn't show anything serious going on with her rhythm!
Glad the cath went relatively well. I can't believe the experience with the anesthesiologist! Wow! We had a similar experience in the recovery on 5th after one of his caths. Believe me in the survey I sent back I let them have it! Ha! I am not fond of the 5th floor recovery area. Anyway, praying that doctors can come to a decision about surgery and you will have some peace.
ReplyDelete