Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Things have been pretty fast-paced around here the past three weeks as I'm sure it has in your homes as well. A couple of weeks ago Olivia and I were honored to attend the Go Red For Women Luncheon in Iowa City. We were able to go two years ago and had a wonderful time.


Olivia right as were walking in






Olivia and her best bud and fellow heart friend, Ellie









Olivia and Thomas have spent some quality time getting to know each other the past 3 weeks. She's constantly wanting to hug him or hold him now, which has been great! The other day she ran over to him, gave him a squeeze and said, “I love my baby brother. He's the best Thomas in the whole entire world!” I thought that was just the cutest thing! She has been such a great big sister. She's really growing up a lot right now. Miss Livi-Pie has even insisted she take her meds by herself now. I supervise and try to make sure she doesn't spill a drop, but she's been pretty good about it.



Thomas is growing like a weed. He has already gained almost four pounds since we came home from the hospital. The other day he was 11 pounds 15 ½ ounces without a diaper or clothes!!! Wow, a 12 pound 4 week old! He has also been very interested in his surroundings. He's even started to bat at some of his toys.











We've also spent some time getting ready for the holidays. Would you believe I am now officially done with my Christmas shopping? I know...Usually I'm not this good, but I started back in September. I knew I wouldn't have as much time to go out and shop this fall so I wanted to make sure I got done all that I could. It's hard to believe the holidays are just around the corner. I've been so preoccupied with my little ones it kind of snuck up on me! This is such a wonderful time of year. I can't wait to put up our decorations. There's something those lights and garland do to the atmosphere. It really makes a person all warm and fuzzy inside!

This holiday season makes us appreciate all that we have and how truly blessed we are. Tomorrow we will celebrate Thanksgiving for the first time as a family of four. We will be able to spend time with our families and enjoy one anothers company. We have so much to be thankful for.



I'm thankful for Olivia. She's such an amazing little girl who has taught our family so much. Through those dark and desperate times she showed us the importance of faith and holding each other close. She taught us about friendship, hope, love, and generosity. If it wasn't for Olivia we wouldn't have been able too see and appreciate all the small things in life.





When Thomas was born our eyes were opened to what Olivia truly went through. We knew she had endured so much, but once you go through the process of having a baby without complications it makes you realize just how different it is. I was able to hold Thomas the minute he was born. With Olivia we weren't able to hold her for the first time until she was 4 days old...the night before her first open-heart surgery. In fact, I told Steve the other night, I could probably count the amount of times I held Olivia on one hand when she was Thomas' age. I can't even count how many times I've held Thomas. Olivia was very fragile for a very long time. She was on paralysis medication until she was Thomas' age. She couldn't move or even open her eyes to look at me. She was helpless. Now, she's a thriving three year old. Looking at Olivia you would only see a sweet, smart, beautiful little girl. Not a poor innocent child who fought so hard to survive.





I'm also thankful for Thomas. The Lord definitely blessed us with a happy, hungry, little man. He's a lot like his Mama...laid back! It's so nice to have him home and be able to enjoy our time together as a family. He's started making these adorable little coo's here lately and has even given up a few smiles!






I'm thankful for Steven. Not only is he an adoring husband, but a wonderful father. He stands by his family and protects us through thick and thin. He's always been my rock in the storm. He's here to fix the dishwasher, carry in the groceries, read to the kids, listen to me when I need him to, and tuck Olivia in at night. His list of honey do's never ends, yet he still shows up for 'work' with a smile.

I'm also thankful for my parents and Steve's. I couldn't ask for better people to help us raise our children. They're always here when we need them, no matter what the problem may be.

And we can't forget our church family and friends. They've kept us afloat through our journey and we wouldn't have been able to make it without them. I'm so thankful to have such caring, generous, and kind people surrounding our family.

May you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. Great update!! I love all the new pics. Thomas sure is growing fast. Livi, of course, as cute as always with those bouncy curls we love!! That's funny, Ellie has been giving herself meds for the past few weeks, too. Sometimes these two are too much alike.
    Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete