We've still been trying to juggle our weekly therapy appointments in Iowa City amongst our hustle and bustle, since it's so important for Olivia's development. She is still making slow, but steady progress with “Lefty.” Her range of motion and being able to grasp with her pointer and her thumb have improved dramatically.

We still need to work on the ability to turn her arm and her fine motor skills. Melissa (Olivia's therapist) has made a few different braces over the past 2 years for us to use. One brace we put on her right arm, which actually blocks her from using the right, forcing her to refine her skills with the left. However, she usually has that brace ripped off within a matter of minutes! Melissa said another approach they use with stroke patients is actually casting their right arm. This is something to keep in mind, but I don't think we are quite ready for that approach yet. With Olivia's stubbornness I'm afraid she'd just shut down and quit trying all together. Another thing we've been working on is steering a trike with both hands. Olivia loves this!

Olivia has been a big helper around the house. She's helping me paint some canvases for the baby's room and helping her Daddy with all of his home improvement projects. So far he has pulled up some carpet, refinished the hard wood floors, painted rooms, dry walled a room in the basement, and dry walled a second bathroom. Here is Miss Livi-Pie helping her Daddy paint the toy room. We decided to change out the old purple walls for a nice yellow (Go Hawks!). Very universal...

While Daddy refinished the wood floors Olivia and I had to leave the house for an entire weekend. We took this opportunity and had ourselves a mini-vaca! First we had a slumber party over at Gram's where we watched movies and did our nails. Then the next morning we drove to Bettendorf to see Auntie Melissa and Emma. They took us to the Niabi Zoo over in IL. Of course Olivia just loved this!

Hey, look at me riding an elephant!

Gram and I taking in all the animals

Just “monkeying” around with Mama

Oh boy, a real pony ride! Hope Mama can keep up with me and this horse!
After this we met up with Great Grandma Brewer and Aunt Tee. We followed them to an awesome new pizza and buffet in Davenport. On the way there Olivia fell asleep in the car. I carried her inside and saw how cool this place was!


To my disappointment this child would not wake-up, I tried and tried. Liv usually isn't a very sound sleeper, but between all of the excitement and the heat, she was out for the count!

Thankfully, just as we were getting ready to leave Olivia woke-up. Just in time for the rides!


Now we were ready for a little shopping and then headed back to Melissa's.

The next day we had a reunion on Steve's side, so we got up, got ready and hit the road. We went from Bettendorf straight to the festivities. Olivia has a great time seeing the donkey, dogs, and of course (her favorite) going for a horse ride!


After this we headed to Cedar Falls to stay in a hotel and go swimming while the smell from the clear coat diminished at home. Olivia loved our room, she said the shower was 'her house' and spent a lot of time in there.

She also got to eat plenty of chocolate and watch some cartoons.

This was one heck of a busy weekend, but I'm sure it was one of Olivia's favorites!
We've also been trying to keep up with our play dates before things get even busier around here. One day we met Ellie and Carter at the park in Marion. The kids had a blast climbing around.



Olivia even went down the big twirly slide all by herself (As I've said before, this girl isn't afraid of anything!).


Can anyone say static electricity! Ha ha!
On Monday we have our 6 month check-up with Cardiology. We've got our echo (which they've decided to do sedated since Liv has the white coat fear and they only do them once a year), EKG, X ray, and labs...Yep, the works! I've also got my OB appointment when we're finished....Should be interesting! Please pray for great results and that surgery will be postponed for another year!
Also, Miss Livi-Pie will be turning three (I know, right?!) the Monday after! I will most likely do a post about our visit and her party sometime after that. However, if there is anything of major concern I will be sure to let you all know.
Our carefree girl....
Wow! What a busy summer! I love all the pics, esp the last one. Adorable! I can't believe Olivia will be 3 already! I guess I forget she's just a few months behind Andrew. They grow up so fast!
ReplyDeleteWe'll be praying for a great cardiology report and appointment for you!
The Huegels
Busy, busy, busy!! Looks like you guys have been having way too much fun! Love the pics.
ReplyDeleteSaying lots of prayers for the upcoming appointments!! Can't believe Livi is turning three already!!